Ex post-FIGARO

FIGARO was presented over Labor Day weekend by Light Opera Co. of Salisbury (www.locosct.org). Here's the "Readers' Digest" version, from my point of view. I have to be frank and say that this production was not what I was expecting, as I did not know this company's work. The show was accompanied by piano, and not with orchestra, as I had assumed. The auditorium, on the beautiful campus of the Hotchkiss School, was not as large as I'd expected. Nor did we have the turnout that I'd hoped for. During the run of the show, the hall did not reach even half its capacity. I thought that that was a shame, considering the hard work that so many of us put into this project. I am happy to report, though, that the feedback that I heard from audience members was uniformly positive. Our listeners generally enjoyed themselves and, in the final analysis, that's what it's all about. Serving the composer and giving a good product to your consumers.

I want to give special shout-outs to some extraordinary people who worked with me on this production. In addition to my buddy Toby Newman, who was a charming Cherubino, I have to give special attention to Charles Sanford, our terrific Count Almaviva, Candice Hoyes, who made a fetching and beautifully sung Barbarina, and Brooke Schooley, whose first crack at Susanna was a home run, in my humble opinion. I must thank Sandy Cuoco, who single-handedly built my costume for me at the last minute, and made me look and feel just right. I can't tell you how many shows I've been in where at least one piece of my costume didn't fit properly...that kind of thing can really hamper a performance, if you let it. I am so blessed that Sandy was on hand to lend her time and considerable talent to helping me look my best.

LOCOS, which has built a reputation on presenting Gilbert & Sullivan works and other operettas, took a chance by presenting its first treatment of grand opera. I am not sure why this production of FIGARO did not receive larger attendance than it did, but I do hope that this show generated enough buzz to keep people interested and excited to support whatever fare the company offers next year. I truly wish them well.




0 comments: