Auditioning: Show some respect!

Recently, there have been some online reactions to certain casting directors using technology during auditions (using Facebook, Twitter, etc.). Here's what I have to say about that.

I'm not opposed to casting people/adjudicators using technology per se during auditions...but there's a big difference between replacing pen and paper with your laptop to make notes about the artists auditioning for you, and engaging in activities that are intended to distract you from the job at hand (online shopping, cruising Facebook, sending tweets et al.). Things haven't changed much since I was in school and auditioning for the big apprentice programs...I used to encounter things like adjudicators/casting people eating/drinking ore even reading the newspaper during my auditions.

Auditioning is a stressful enough process without adding disrespectful behavior into the mix. For some years now, I've been toying with the idea of going into my next audition with a note to the casting people from my mom. Instead of singing, I just hand the note to the brass, which reads, "My son has such a lovely voice, it really would be worth your while to give him a nice part in your little show."

It'll save me the trouble of getting dressed up, warming up my voice, fighting my nerves and potential memory slips, and having to smile and be gracious to people who have probably already hired someone else for the role I want! One of these days, I just might do it. I'll let you know what happens! ;-)

Seriously, though, may I add my voice to those of my colleagues in the industry who ask for just a modicum of respect for those performers who take the time to put themselves out there and recite monologues, sing songs, tell jokes, and dance in the hopes of getting a contract? We professional artists choose to pursue this line of work, knowing all the while that the competition is high, the percentage of landing a coveted job is low, and this industry can be pretty unfair and unforgiving. Anyone who has the nerve to study and prepare to the best artist they can be deserves the complete and full attention of those ladies and gentlemen seated at that long table of judgment.

0 comments: